Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Identifying the Sex of Your Pupa... (and other REALLY important pieces of information...)

The second caterpillar is in the chrysalis now! We were looking on the internet and found some info on indentifying the sex of your "pupa, chrysalis, and Monarch..." And because I know you are all living life far below it's potential not knowing this crucial piece of wisdom, allow me to share... When the Monarch is in it's larva stage the only way to tell is to cut it open and look for testes... In the pupa stage, you can identify a female by a vertical, black line that will appear below the large black circles at the top of the chrysalis, and once the Monarch is a butterfly, the sex can be identified by looking at the veins in the wings... Female Monarchs have thicker veins. Male Monarchs have thinner veins, but have a small "scent sack" (black circle) on the bottom of each wing. So, now you know.... And since I'm not seeing the vertical line, I'm thinking that the 2nd pupa pictured is a male.. Guess we'll know soon...

No comments: